Saturday, February 25, 2012

reduce trans log size; help needed

Hello,
I am hoping you can help me with the following problem; I need to process
the following steps every couple of hours in order to keep our Sql 2000
database a small as possible (the transaction log is 5x bigger than the db).
1.back-up the entire database
2.truncate the log
3.shrink the log
4.back-up once again.
As you may have determined, I am relatively new to managing a sql server
database and while I have found multiple articles online about the topics I
need to accomplish, I cannot find any actual examples that explain where I
input the coded used to accomplish the above-mentioned steps. I do
understand the theory behind the steps I just do not know how to accomplish
them!
If you know of a well-documented tutorial (Aside from Books Online (F1)),
please point me in the right direction.
Regards.| Hello,
|
| I am hoping you can help me with the following problem; I need to process
| the following steps every couple of hours in order to keep our Sql 2000
| database a small as possible (the transaction log is 5x bigger than the
db).
|
| 1.back-up the entire database
| 2.truncate the log
| 3.shrink the log
| 4.back-up once again.
|
| As you may have determined, I am relatively new to managing a sql server
| database and while I have found multiple articles online about the topics
I
| need to accomplish, I cannot find any actual examples that explain where I
| input the coded used to accomplish the above-mentioned steps. I do
| understand the theory behind the steps I just do not know how to
accomplish
| them!
--
You can create a job that executes the above steps every couple of hours.
You can define each of the above steps as actual job steps with the job.
You can use Enterprise Manager to create this job.
Hope this helps,
--
Eric Cárdenas
SQL Server support

No comments:

Post a Comment