Saturday, February 25, 2012

Reducing log (ldf) file size

I thought that the size of the log file went down when you did a full
database backup. How can I reduce the size of my log file? Do I need to
back it up separately? Thanks.
David
DBCC SHRINKFILE(databasename_log, 0)
This will reduce the log file size to 504 KB.
However, if you don't change your current recovery model and/or the behavior
of your apps, the log file is just going to grow again between backups. So
the above is only a temporary relief.
Please post DDL, sample data and desired results.
See http://www.aspfaq.com/5006 for info.
"David C" <dlchase@.lifetimeinc.com> wrote in message
news:uC#FtmiLFHA.1392@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I thought that the size of the log file went down when you did a full
> database backup. How can I reduce the size of my log file? Do I need to
> back it up separately? Thanks.
> David
>
|||You are right. I thought I had set it to "Simple" but was set to
"Full". Thanks Aaron.
*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.codecomments.com ***
Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!
|||and addtionally to Aarons reply, you need to backup the log seperately
(...look up BACKUP LOG xxxx...in Books On Line..) to keep the log in shape.
Setting the recovery to Simple will limit your possibilities to recover data
in case of something happens to the database.
Regards
Steen
David wrote:
> You are right. I thought I had set it to "Simple" but was set to
> "Full". Thanks Aaron.
>
> *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.codecomments.com ***
> Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment