Friday, March 30, 2012

Regarding Database Tuning Advisor

Hi guys, I am new to use Database Tuning Advisor. Right now I just save a workload as a sql and runs it in Database Tuning Advisor. The script that I wrote is kinda simple ( Select EID,EName,EDescription From Events Where EID = 300) . However, after I finish analyzed it, there's nothing to display on the recommendations session. Is it suppose got any details in it ? Or does it mean I no need to tune my query performance ? Hope someone can help me out here. Thx guys.

Best Regards,

Hans

It sounds like there were no recommendations -which I would suspect for such a simplistic script if you had basic indexes.

Normally, to generate a 'workload', you would run Profiler for a period of time, capturing all work on the server to a file (or table), and then use the DTA with that workload. I normally recommend, depending upon the amount of 'traffic', to capture a 24 hours block of work, or several key one hour segments during a day.

The primary idea with DTA is to try and reproduce what is happening on the server so that it can try to determine if the indexing is appropriate considering all that is being requested.

No comments:

Post a Comment