Friday, March 30, 2012

Regarding ETL, urgent

Dear all,
I've got two DTS with a lot of transformations and within of them VbScript
snippets and so on. My issue is that both has been modified incorrectly but
I
haven't idea where and how. So this way I was wondering if exists any
third-tool on the market (I'm not thinking in the own Sql Server) which be
able to compare automatically two dts from the most low level. Otherwise I'l
l
be to compare section by section using WinMerge or something like that.
Any input or comment would be very welcomed.You have a few options :-
DTS keeps a version history that will enable you to rollback to previous
package (Simply right click the package and choose version)
Red Gate do a package called "DTS Compare"
Restore msdb from backups to another server and extract the package you
require.
HTH. Ryan
"Enric" <Enric@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:36CA63FC-E150-4BD0-BB14-27F715BAE47D@.microsoft.com...
> Dear all,
> I've got two DTS with a lot of transformations and within of them VbScript
> snippets and so on. My issue is that both has been modified incorrectly
> but I
> haven't idea where and how. So this way I was wondering if exists any
> third-tool on the market (I'm not thinking in the own Sql Server) which be
> able to compare automatically two dts from the most low level. Otherwise
> I'll
> be to compare section by section using WinMerge or something like that.
> Any input or comment would be very welcomed.
>|||Thanks in advance Ryan,
"Ryan" wrote:

> You have a few options :-
> DTS keeps a version history that will enable you to rollback to previo
us
> package (Simply right click the package and choose version)
> Red Gate do a package called "DTS Compare"
> Restore msdb from backups to another server and extract the package yo
u
> require.
> --
> HTH. Ryan
> "Enric" <Enric@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:36CA63FC-E150-4BD0-BB14-27F715BAE47D@.microsoft.com...
>
>|||Hi Enric
as a built-in alternative - not as slick I'm sure as a dedicated tool
such as DTS Compare - you can save any DTS package as a VB module. So
assuming you're comfortable with VB, you should be able to compare the
two packages by extracting them both to VB modules and comparing the
two files. Even if you don't have Visual Studio, a basic file-compare
utility should be able to show you the differences.
cheers
Seb

No comments:

Post a Comment